1895 Samuel Zwemer, one of the cofounders of the Arabian Mission, stops in Kuwait on his way to Basra from Bahrain and notes that “the place is the cleanest Arab town in the Gulf …”
1908 Sheikh Khaz’al, ruler of Muham-marah and a patient of the Arabian Mission’s Dr. Arthur K. Bennett, invites Dr. Bennett to meet Sheikh Mubarak, the 7th ruler of Kuwait.
1909 Dr. Bennett performs successful cataract surgery on Sheikh Mubarak’s daughter. Sheikh Mubarak invites the Arabian Mission doctors to practice in Kuwait. They agree and Kuwait becomes an outstation of the Basra facilities.
1911 Sheikh Mubarak provides an annex of his palace to be used as a hospital. Dr. Paul Harrison and Dr. Eleanor Calverley are the first doctors assigned to the Kuwait American Mission Hospital (AMH).
1913 Construction on the first purpose-built hospital is completed. Dr. Stanley Mylrea arrives, replacing Dr. Harrison, and is named Kuwait’s “Quarantine Medical Officer”.
1917 Sheikh Salim al-Mubarak al-Sabah becomes Amir.
1919 The purpose built Women’s Dispensary is completed.
1920 Soldiers from the Battle of Jahra are treated at the AMH and only four of the 135 seriously wounded die.
1921 Electric generators are installed in the hospital and the doctors receive a Model T Ford, making house calls easier.
1930 Operating theatres are added to the AMH facilities.
1939 H.H. the Amir Sheikh Ahmed al-Jaber al-Sabah opens the Olcott Memorial Hospital, commonly known as the Women’s Hospital. Dr. Mary Bruins Allison replaces Dr. Calverley.
1940 A modern laboratory is established.
1940-1945 Facilities and services are reduced due to a lack of supplies during World War II. Dr. Bruins Allison is sent home.
1943 The first X-ray machine is added.
1945 Dr. Bruins Allison begins restoration of the Women’s Hospital. A full X-ray unit is installed.
1949 Amiri Hospital and the KOC Hospital open in Maqwa.
1952 Air-conditioning is added to the operating rooms.
1955 H.H. the Amir, Sheikh Abdullah al-Salem al-Sabah opens the Mylrea Memorial Hospital, commonly known as the Men’s hospital.
1967 There are sufficient public hospitals in Kuwait, American Mission Hospital closes.
1995 UNESCO and Dar al-Athar al-Islamiyyah explore preservation plans for the AMH buildings.
2000 Restoration and historic preservation work on the buildings begins, with support from the NCCAL, UNESCO, the Ministry of Information and Dar al-Athar al-Islamiyyah.
2006 Dar al-Athar al-Islamiyyah establishes an Islamic arts and culture library and temporary administrative offices in the Women’s Hospital building.
2007 Plans are finalised for the conversion of the Men’s Hospital into a multi-use facility, the Amricani Cultural Centre.
2008 Small exhibitions and the Children’s Art Workshop activities are held in the Amricani Cultural Centre.
2009 Renovation work begins on the Amricani Cultural Centre.
2011 Dar al-Athar al-Islamiyyah opens the Amricani Cultural Centre.