For the 3rd consecutive year, Dar al-Athar al-Islamiyyah, in accordance with the International Council of Museums, celebrated International Museum Day on May 15th from 4pm – 10pm at Dar al-Athar al-Islamiyyah’s Amricani Cultural Centre. The theme of International Museum Day this year was: Museums for a Sustainable Society.
This theme highlights the role of museums in raising public awareness about the need for a society that is less wasteful, more cooperative and that uses resources in a way that respects living systems.
According to ICOM President, Prof. Dr Hans‐Martin Hinz: “Museums, as educators and cultural mediators, are adopting an increasingly vital role in contributing to the definition and implementation of sustainable development and practices”. Museums help safeguard our cultural identity and heritage. Therefore, we must do everything we can to ensure that they are part of the cultural driving force for the sustainable development of the world.
This year Dar al-Athar al-Islamiyyah is looking to showcase the theme by addressing the three main areas of sustainability: environmental sustainability, financial sustainability and social sustainability. We’re setting up recycling bins and asking participants to bring all their paper, plastic and glass and come recycle it during International Museum Day. We’re organizing art workshops that will take used nespresso capsules and repurpose them into a mosaic art design. We’re starting a charity drive, in association with Operation Hope, to help collect used clothing and donate it to the impoverished and under-privileged. We invited local farms that practice sustainable growth and organic food production. We will have a temporary art exhibition, in cooperation with Dar al-Funoon and the Sultan Gallery, to display the artwork with a focus on social and cultural topics.
There will also be plenty of activities for the whole family to celebrate and enjoy International Museum Day, including:
- An outdoor market (Souq Qibla) for local entrepreneurs and small-medium enterprises to sell traditional and hand-craft goods and clothing, organic products, used books, and help educate the public on their sustainable business practices.
- Children’s Activities: Workbooks, crafts, and exhibition tours
- A NEW Exhibition (by our Junior Docents)
- Theatre: A children’s play by Theatre Director Nassar al-Nassar
- A photo booth
- Grafitti Wall
- Workshops for all ages and interests: Art-Space Q8, Calligraphy, Henna, Planting, Holi-Art, and so much more.
- Exhibition Tours through the Splendors of the Ancient East, Long Ago Zoo, Loans from the Kuwait National Museum, Story of Amricani (Audiovisual presentation), and Mystic Journey to the Ancient East.
- Live Outdoor Music performed by a Brass and Jazz Orchestra
Join us in celebrating International Museum Day and help building a sustainable society!